A whole three days of work this week, not good is it? How am I supposed to fit the rest of my life in? And I'm busy. Perhaps it's because the end of the contract is now looming over the horizon and jobs need to be jobbed before I leave. Or at least find some good excuses as to why I'm handing back tasks that were handed to me pre-maternity leave. But then, why should she get special treatment compared to anyone else coming back after a big long holiday?
Today had to do presentation at team meeting of big boss. So did slides this morning (well at least they were up-to-date). About ten minutes before I'm going to leave office, big boss's helper rings me to see if I can arrive early. Hmmm, unlikely but I'll try. So e-mail slides off in advance of my arrival. When I get there, my boss (the dopey non-line-manager) is doing my presentation! I take over at a suitable point and big boss apologises and leaves before the end. Why bother? Why? Why?
Still, I did a gym induction at the end of the afternoon before coming home which was quite fun.
And I had an interesting conversation with HR lady this afternoon, seeing as how I went back to the office after my half-presentation. They are exasperated with non-line-manager too! They are aware that the team I work in is underpaid compared to market rates. However, they can't just hike their salaries by 15% if everyone else is only getting a piddling increase, can they? Well, why on earth not? If they're doing a job that people in other companies get paid lots more for, then why not make a one-off step increase to bring them into line? Or is it cheaper to piss them off and see if they really will leave? Cynical? I shouldn't think anything will happen to change my own situation with the company but if it helps my team-mates a bit, then good.
This evening, I've been looking up dates of training races in the Spring.

2 comments:
{{womble}}
Work? Well, I gave it up a couple of weeks ago now. The pay's cr*p, but the conditions aren't too bad :o)
Post a Comment