Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Diwali

So that's what all these fireworks are about. There were quite a few on Monday, people letting off fireworks for Halloween, I thought. Then yesterday, there was a group of chaps unleashing some incendiary devices on the public footpath which is on my route home. I politely said I thought they shouldn't be doing so and they very politely said they'd nearly finished. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic. I then added "I do know it's Diwali." Then this evening one of neighbours knocks to let me know they're setting off fireworks in the garden. Very nice. I do wish they'd think more about their guests parking in front of my 'drive' (well - the space in front of the garage but it's all I've got) but hey, it was a friendly moment. Mind you, they'd had a fireworks session on Monday. Two doors along did them last night and then this evening, well, goodness knows how much money they spent illuminating the neighbourhood.
Fireworks
It occurred to me to wonder how the accident statistics might be starting to change around this time of year. Why? Because I've seen such dangerous and reckless behaviour from all these people celebrating Diwali. Anyone who's been to my house will know that a large handkerchief makes my garden look small. So, if there's one chap shooting off rockets by holding that thin tube you stick in the ground and the other one has just lit a huge party-pack thing and can't get past the one with the rocket about to take-off..... I was wanting to watch the fireworks as I do actually enjoy them but had to stop as I didn't want to see anyone get nastily burned Ambulance . Me being a first aider and all I would have to help too. Anyway, thankfully no screaming. Yet. I read that Diwali lasts five days so I'm still expecting more screeching, banging and lighting up of the sky.

And before you think I'm being a bit miserable I actually love stuff like this. The fact that London is so culturally diverse. You can sit on the bus and hear so many different languages and, most of the time people are happy getting on with each other and getting on with life, each in their own way.

Mind you, the poor cat has spent most of the last few evenings hiding under one of my bedside cupboards and, for once, I didn't have the heart to drag her out.

No comments: