A normal weekend in the Lake District then! Fortunately, the hire car (a go-slower Golf) had a large boot (I seem to remember BF saying 'Hmmm this is nice') so we could fit in all the assorted luggage and cake provisions for 4+ people. We considered trying to usurp the YHA rules and decide our own rooming scheme but then thought better of it. After all, we might want to return one day.
Did 9+ miles on Saturday in rather wet and windy conditions. Mini went a touch hypothermic so was wrapped up like a Michelin man for the descent and cheered up considerably. I think she liked the stop in the pub before we got back to Keswick too. There were moments of the scenery breaking through when you remembered how fantastic the Lake District can be. There were other times when you thought 'Why is the weather always like this up here?'. Had a lovely dinner in the evening, cooked by some other people in the group. What a result! My contribution was fruit cake, bread pudding and fairy cakes. I can do baking, you see.
I had wanted to do the Derwentwater 10 (honestly) but the midday start-time didn't bode well for getting Mini back home in time for sufficient sleep before school today. So we spectated at about 4.5 miles by a tea place and it was great fun. Quite a small field, I would have been perilously close to the back I think. I haven't been last in a race since this time last year.
Then, lots of driving to get everyone safely delivered back to their various abodes. Was a bit tired when I finally got home. Cat was alive, thanks to Megawomble's attentions. Great weekend that ended well. Lovely to meet some new forum people and more of the skiing team.
And today, work work work. This evening my 'run with snails' was quite good fun. We did something called 'the gentle hills and slopes of New Malden', ie. hill training for slower people. Was 4.1 miles and they enjoyed it. Treat them like runners, that's what I say. I ran there and back so managed about 7.2 in total. Am I back in training???
Monday, November 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Looks like you are back in training...!!!
...unlike some of us..!!
...who haven't even started yet
:o|
so pleased it was a good weekend
and if it hadn't rained people would have got the wrong immpression and even more crowds would be going
Post a Comment