Sunday, November 20, 2005

In the line of duty

Such a sad picture. My sister is in the Metropolitan Police Force. She always wanted to join and started at 17 1/2 years old. My Mum never liked the idea. She's twitchy whenever there are stories about things happening to police officers. And yet, we expect there to be 'someone' out there to look after us when things happen. We've been robbed, burgled, subject to road rage, splatted our car. Whatever. It really shouldn't be in anyone's job description "7. Possibility of death in service is real. However, your family will receive a pension."

I don't support the idea of arming the police. It kind of turns the whole thing into 'fair game' for criminals toting guns.... "Well, the copper 'ad a gun so I shot 'im first". We really don't want to turn into a mini-USA. Do we?

3 comments:

beanz said...

no we don't want armed police

but I do think we need stronger sentencing so that shooting the police officer is really not worth it

Evil Pixie said...

I'm with beanz
and sometimes when I read storied like that I say bring back hanging
we're too soft on the louts today so there is no deterent to stop them being louts
not the fault of the police - it's the law courts that let both the public and the police down
I'm grateful to the likes of your sister

womble said...

Thanks you two. I agree on the sentencing front. Not sure about capital punishment, I kind of fluctuate on that one. But yes, it really shouldn't be worthwhile using a gun because the odds should be that you'll get caught.