
Saw this story today. Now I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see Eagle Owls swooping about the English countryside than ring-necked parakeets. And if one managed to carry off my cat, sure I'd be a bit upset. I'd also be very impressed!
The 'experts' are, of course, predicting doom and gloom saying 'foreign' species introduced to this country can upset the ecosystem. That's true. But then, perhaps we could expand our notion of British-ness to include the animal world and welcome them all? Explain the rules, ask them to learn to queue, speak a little bit of English and pay their taxes. Then let them stay. It's worked so far for: mink, wallabies, coypu (although allegedly eradicated), fekkin' parrots, ruddy duck, grey squirrels......
Ah, right. Perhaps most of them are cute but a nuisance! Apparently there are beneficial 'non-native' species, it's just that they don't make such good headlines.

1 comment:
wonderful image
Post a Comment