Sunday, October 30, 2005

And .... rest!

A busy few days, as predicted. Yes, the car was full of 'stuff' which needed (and still needs) sorting. Mega went to see "The Legend of Zorro" which he said was very good when he finally found his way back home Friday morning. Then he seems suddenly more insistent that we have to get his new shirt for Adventure Scouts before he goes to Friend 2's. So, brain goes into overtime of how to do feeding/shirt procurement from location unknown but local/get to F2 in just over an hour by bike. Ok, so he checked and we gained an hour. And I spotted keys to a small tractor on the floor. Oh well, needs must and all that. [Prayer offered to Green God: I do try honestly, and I'll make sure lots of this 'stuff' gets recycled.] It turns out that the shirt is needed today because he's being 'invested' (here's hoping the interest rate is good). And we now know where all the shops in Tolworth are.......
Map
Friday evening we tootled up to town for the London Social, not so many people this month but some of them were making up for our absent friends. Apparently, there was an hilarious demonstration of how not to put on your jumper when you've been drinking! Great fun and lovely to see people as always. November is the Xmas bash so better dust off the tinsel. Mid-evening, I had to explain: where the replacement light bulbs are and where the fuse box is and, please don't worry, light bulbs often spark when they blow. Poor Mini!

Busy day Saturday of shifting and sorting and unbagging, re-bagging, binning and storing, filing and finding, forgetting and flurrying. I'm sure there is enough space here somewhere! And Mini made some fairy cakes, aah.

Today, thank heavens for the clock change! A 9am race start didn't seem quite so horrendous. Not good, but not so bad. BF being safely back up north and at work, I had to cycle to the race. It was warm, windy and UPHILL. Anyone who knows this area of SW London will know there are hills and they are pretty damn steep between here and Nonsuch Park. It turns out that I did a slow 10k (my twentieth it seems) in the middle of a 15.6k bike ride! It's two weeks since my friend died - it was lovely to see his Dad spectating at the race and I shook his hand as I ran past. There was a moment's silence before the start too.

And no. I AM NOT GOING SWIMMING this afternoon. I shall spend a quiet few hours doing all that admin that goes into organising races, just like the one I ran in this morning (except mine's bigger and better!).

Or do another Sudoku. Or two. Just a fiendish here and there. I'm addicted? No, of course not.













I'm trying to forget about the little old lady who tried to knock me off my bike when she was wanting to turn left in her car to M&S Simply Food in Worcester Park. I was wearing my dayglo builders' vest thingy and I was in the cycle lane. What else do I have to do? I shouted (strangely without swearing) and she actually apologised. That wouldn't have helped much if she'd got me, would it? Grrrrrrrrrr

7 comments:

Evil Pixie said...

you can get su doku online and interactive from The Times!

womble said...

Pix..... I know!

Anonymous said...

Your Little Old Lady apologised?! After slapping the side of a car that nearly had me off on my way back from Richmond Park, I then had to put up with the 20st+ occupant following me and generally being not particularly nice to me (swerving, swearing, threatening etc). He said he'd cut my throat! I told Fatso he'd have to catch me first :o)

womble said...

little bruv - we obviously have different tactics in these situations. When I can cycle like wot you can then perhaps I'll be able to use the more direct approach of displaying my displeasure to our motoring 'chums'.

;o)

beanz said...

pleased it was a good weekend


as for older drivers


my Mother and my F-in-L are both over 80 and we have recently been wondering about how long they should go on driving and who will tell them to stop - difficult issues ahead methinks

Cath Delaney said...

I say get someone else to do the driving when you can and I'll be doing that right from now on until I'm 80 (assuming I get past 40 that is). For example... Philip did all the driving today and he's MUCH SAFER than I am... so let him do it I say... and I get to yatter and look at the scenery...

;o)

womble said...

My ex's grandfather finally stopped driving at 80+ after he'd had an accident. One of his sons basically took the keys off him.

And a flipping great bruise has come out on my calf :-(((