It all started with me catching the train up to Liverpool and the lovely BF on Friday morning. In the evening, we met up with Cath and Phillyboi for pizza (and no - I really had only been to Pizza Hut once before) and then off to the cultural bit of the weekend with Carmen the opera. I've never been to see an opera before so it was quite an interesting experience. I was glad that my views of the good and less good bits lined up with those who claim to know more about these things. Most enjoyable anyway. Plenty of lounging about on Saturday and then a drive back home in the late afternoon. This did make sense in view of having to be in Abingdon ready to start a race at 9am on Sunday. It being rather closer to SW London than Liverpool.

What race? Oh, just a marathon. My 14th and 7th fastest (or 8th slowest!) in 4.48.00 (my watch of course). For the first time ever, I got cramp. Just round the corner from mile 21 my left gastrocnemius just pinged and that was it. I had to walk the last 5 miles. Every time I tried to get going again, I couldn't even manage half a step of running. Whether it was the lack of training, or what, I don't know. I was as well hydrated and carb-ed up as I would normally be. However, walking didn't stop me overtaking people! I am known for my brisk walking pace. I was accompanied in mile 25 by a chap jogging and chatting, he couldn't keep up at a walk and finally had to stop! I pulled my hurty bits together as I entered Tilsley Park for the finale and pretended to run round the track to the finish. What wonderful people they are from RW Forum!!! Such fab support. If you ever want to try a marathon without the pressure and crowds of London, then I would recommend this one. Superb organisation, excellent marshalling, decent medal, hot shower afterwards .... and I got a spot prize of a huge box of Maltesers! It was BF's first marathon and he got cramp too, at mile 21!!! I achieved my target of finishing within an hour of him but not in the way either of us had hoped or expected. Still he's got that out of the way now and knows what he has to do for April.
And then, back to Liverpool for some rest and food. Although all we could find was garlic bread, oven chips, baked beans and ice cream! Who cares when you've just run a marathon? We'd shared the driving as neither of us was particularly keen on the idea of doing the whole thing. More rest and recuperation on Monday although we had to get up 'early' as BF's Dad was dropping in on his way home. Eeeeekkkk. It was ok :-)

Train back home was comfy but seemed to sit somewhere for a very long time. Was dark so haven't a clue where it was. The result was not getting back home until just after midnight. Cat still alive, thanks to a couple of visits by the miniwombles. It's great, I can ask my children to mind the cat! They didn't do the washing up though......


2 comments:
well done on finishing - lack of miles as a cause of cramps - same as BF?
(I think that was the cause in my half)
you doing London?
Definitely doing London now. Was in doubt as had planned trip to Oz for March to coincide with Commonwealth Games. Now I've put that off to 2007, so FLM again again again.....
And I can take my friend to Oz with me :o)
Post a Comment