Thursday, January 18, 2007

A bit windy today

No, not me. The weather. little bruv actually arrived on time at 06.45 which meant I was still munching my brekkie. We were on the road by 7 in awful conditions. Still managed to make good time until south of Ashdown Forest when we came to a stand-still. After twenty minutes of fairly calm waiting we decided to turn around and find an alternative route. This was after we'd seen a car driving along the other side of the road with a large piece of tree embedded plum in the middle of the windscreen. The driver was looking out of his side window, the forward view being a bit shattered. That must have been absolutely terrifying.

For once, my sense of direction - famously lacking most of the time (just ask around....) - was better than little bruv's: "Left here then?". "No, right". We got to Auntie Linda's in plenty of time to find her fussing about things in general and apologising for the weather! There were so many cards at the house. You see, my Uncle Chris was one of those lovely people who was kind and generous and would help anyone anytime if he possibly could. I never saw him angry or even annoyed. The service was a Catholic one without being a Mass. The sign of the man was in the number of people at the service - standing room only. Big Bruv did the homily, written by Auntie. It was warm and in good humour. A great moment when describing how my grandmother had decided to move her children from the horrors of Clapton/NE London to the delights of ...... Croydon. The 'wake' was at the local sailing club on the seafront of Eastbourne. As you can imagine the sea was one of those described on the shipping forecast in ominous tones. 'Choppy' I think someone said. I told my Aunt that it was too bad for sailing to make sure that all of Chris's sailing club chums made it to the service.

As is the way with these things, it was a rare family gathering so I'd taken the precaution of bringing along my holiday pressies. I apologised to Linda for not bringing her anything! I was glad that I had sent a postcard to the two of them though.

So. Back up to Wombledon and yoga class number 2. The teacher checked that I really hadn't done any before and said I was quite good. I think she meant "For a beginner".

7 comments:

b-z said...

Are you enjoying the Yoga

I hops so

xx

womble said...

Yes, yoga is great. It's a different sort of challenge to the body to running. I can feel all the stretching and it'll be interesting to see if/how/when my flexibility improves.

Gymfreak said...

Oi. Get to my pilates classes xxxx

Cath Delaney said...

I'm just saying now... NO. I'm not doing Yoga. (or pilates)

:op

{hug}

Gymfreak said...

oi. i take great offence

;o)

womble said...

I've bought a yoga mat in its own carrying bag today at TK Maxx. And two books.

beanz said...

would love to do Yoga - but can't find a class at 9.00 pm