Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Shock horror!!!

I've been running! Not that remarkable, you might say, but the first time in 10 days! What's my excuse for the huge gap? Well, there was the not-quite-broken-toe, the nasty cold, the finishing work, the Liverpool social, the CBA. Anyway, pushed myself out of the door and headed off on one of my regular routes to Richmond Park. Was lovely and quiet. The deer were there, of course. Lots of parrots but then I saw a green woodpecker for the first time in ages, really close up too. And just as I thought I wouldn't see a grey heron there was one actually wading in the pond by Ham Gate. The squirrels were out in force today too. There was a jay and loads of its pesky magpie cousins. Was a nice run. Shame about the runner.

While we're on the wildlife theme, I discovered that a new 'alien' species set to threaten the sanctity of life as we know it. It's the Harlequin Ladybird. Don't laugh. I'm being serious! Apparently, this little bug is the most invasive ladybird on Earth, and it's in a garden near you. Possibly. The trouble is that it eats more widely than our own native ladybirds, is bigger than them (so prone to bullying, I suppose), reproduces more quickly and, when hungry, will eat the larvae of other ladybirds. So, do your bit and join the survey.

Sounds like a way of keeping small children busy for a while at least!


No comments: