Went up the High Street with Leon prior to his meeting with hurty man (ROFL). Collected lottery winnings, posted cards and headed for supermarket. The assistants were being jolly and nice but why do they presume that everyone is doing their 'big shop'? I was doing my normal shop one day early because I might be sleepy tomorrow morning. Check my bags and you'd have found pizzas, no turkey, lots of fruit, no tins of biscuits or tubs of sweets or packs of nuts, bread and milk. I did get some nice cheese and a panettone by way of a small gesture to the season. And brussel sprouts!!!
So to tonight and the rest of the week. I'm off to Crisis for the week to help at one of the shelters for homeless people. It's great fun and you can't escape the week without laughter or tears. There are some lovely people there, both guests and volunteers, all with stories to tell. You see, homeless people are people, just like you and me. They've hit on hard times for one reason or another. But they're still humans with hopes and aspirations, families somewhere. At times, any one of us may be not that far from being in the same position. Last year, I had a long conversation with a young chap (in his 20s) who had actually volunteered to work at the shelters and ended up being a guest himself, all in the space of a few short weeks.
When I got back in from the shopping, I picked up an e-mail from my shift leader asking if I wouldn't mind spending most of the week on the Gate, ie. the guests' entrance to the shelter. Now working on the gate can be hilarious, especially when they're finishing off their cans before coming back in for the night. On reflection though, I feel quite privileged to be leading the team that welcomes people in with smiling faces and warm hearts. Best go and find all my thermals....
5 comments:
have a good week - you really are the star on the Christmas tree
Lottery winnings..?
Oooooh yes....!!!!
Riches Galore is going to be her new name....!!!
;o)
So that was a £10 win then?
Womble: Keep up the good work at Crisis
Yes, £10 and for some reason I'd agreed to give Beary 45% of my winnings! I'm sure he'll donate them to Crisis, won't he......
Have the best of festive seasons everyone.
Post a Comment