Flash! Crash! Wtf I muttered wondering what on earth time it was. Far too early was the answer especially as I was alarmed to rise so as to leave the house by 06.30. And as for hearing rain pouring down, I was not happy. It was the day of our club's Valentine's 10k, the one I didn't organise this year. I had still pledged to help out on the day, of course, so off in my waterproofs I pedalled to Chessington. Got roped in to help put out all the course markers. Back in time to retrieve the bike and get off to marshalling point 2 on the first road junction. By now, beautifully clad, head to toe, in fluorescent yellow. Our team worked really well and we managed to stop the traffic from running anyone down. My heart was in my mouth as we directed a police car through the junction on the wrong side but they just continued on! Phew.
Once the last runner (as far as we knew) came through, then I was on my trusty steed (having mustered as many flashing lights as I could) and I turned into the Sweep Vehicle! The art of cycling slowly was practised (I know some of you might say it's not so difficult for me but honestly, I've removed the stabilisers now) and my lovely last runner made it in, triumphant at 1h23m. Back at Race HQ, there was a 'Womble.... can you tell us.....' moment on the results compilation and I got dragged in to assist the new Race Director with the presentations. Pretty busy morning. Back to the club afterwards to rehydrate (well, I did do a lot of cycling). There's been good feedback on RW so that's great.
Today has been a funny day, in an amusing sort of way. Found myself buying a wormery online. Can't wait for it to arrive! This seemed to be the best price. So then I thought I'd better start saving my scraps to feed to the new pets when they arrive, hopefully in the next few days. Nipped over to Homebase to buy a suitable container to keep their food in, even though it was raining and I'd already decided to put off my trip to Esher. When I got back it turned out I'd made my first ebay sale of the year. So off to the Post Office to post that. By which time, for some reason, I'd agreed that a 7 or 8 mile run in the wind and rain was a good idea. Hmmmm.
I enjoyed the run, with old friend again, more than I had anticipated. We did the bottom half of Richmond Park and yes, it was slightly muddy and wet. The wind, however, was not biting cold as of the last few days so it wasn't too bad really (can't believe I'm saying that!). Actually, it was very muddy and wet...... Back at the house after showers and clean warm clothes, I dished up some of the homemade vegetable soup (apparently not too bad) and we watched some high brow tv: the final of Junior Mastermind (we even knew some of the answers) and University Challenge (where we didn't). Nice long phone conversation with the miniwombles for a change and it felt like a busy day. I'd even done some tedious work-finding stuff.
Do you think worms should have names?

6 comments:
maybe you should name them after forumites? ;o)
not SUCH a stupid idea from the bear 4 once....
xx
:))))))))))
But loads of us forumites have animal names already
Sorry to miss the 10k
phew - might have been your back marker if things had been better recently
I think you might run out of names - they breed splendidly
definitely call one of them GymFreak after that comment :-P
I might name them after forumites, in reverse alphabetical order..... ;o)
Post a Comment