I started writing this last Sunday! I'm hoping it bears me persisting with it.
I had run out of the anti-depressants, stupidly thinking I had another blister pack somewhere. Then decided I couldn't get to the doctor until Monday. You'd think by all the posting I managed to get done last Sunday (05 Feb) that I was feeling ok. But actually, I couldn't shift my backside out of the house, even for a crisp walk in the park. Sunday found me feeling down, crap, nothing in particular and so on. On Monday I saw the doctor and told him how I've been, or not, over the last few weeks. Basically, he decided to change my anti-depressants, I told him I wanted to be referred for counselling, and I wished him well for his impending skiing holiday in Canada (bizarrely cheaper than France for a family but I could believe him).
I took the first tablet on Monday night, just before retiring as the instructions suggested. I really did try to tell myself that it couldn't responsible that quickly for the most dreadful night's lack of sleep that I then endured. ... a week passes..... In the morning, I texted my boss and team to say I needed more sleep and be in for lunchtime. Which then came and went and I pretended to do some work from home. I even responded to some e-mails! However, I did feel rubbish and failed to get to work on the Wednesday. This kicked me into some activity of sorts though, mostly along the lines of "This is ridiculous" and I did spend time looking into what sort of 'help' is available through work.
Thursday found me talking to the HR director about it "all" and she suggested referral for some face-to-face counselling sessions (my research suggested only phone sessions were available) and also referral to Occupation Health. This latter point is significant. My HR director believes that what I was describing to hear amounts to a "disability" and her duty is to ensure that my work isn't adversely impacting my health. Forms were filled, boss was involved and talked to. I now have appointments galore this coming week (commencing Monday 20 February - keep up). Monday morning I have the first face-to-face counselling session. Tuesday morning I have an Occupational Health assessment appointment. Tuesday afternoon (boys look away now) I have a fun visit to Kingston hospital to get a Mirena coil fitted which should, finally, sort out some of the nastier bits of the menopausal symptoms that I've been experiencing. Can't wait for Wednesday! I might even get my new contact lenses this week but not holding my breath.
My poor boss is doing well through all this. I had to admit on the Thursday morning of that week that I had thought I was alright when I got in to work (and I had, even the ride in had been good) until he popped in to see me and then the stress chemicals went whoosh all over the place. I don't think it's personal.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment