Sunday, February 05, 2012

Missing: Inaction?

It's been a while since I last blogged. Stuff has been going on so there hasn't time or, occasionally, the inclination to get on here. Although of course I welcome each and both of my readers! Thank you for persisting.


The return to work was busy, but I felt more rested than I do usually at the beginning of January. We interviewed and recruited new righthandperson and she started this week on 1st February. Although through the external round, she was in effect 'internal' as a Christmas temp and prior to that a fundraising intern. It's funny how you have key criteria in your head for what is the minimum and then you have to deal with what (who!) turns up in front of you. I think new RHP will be good and good to work with. She's not afraid of picking up the phone, learns quickly and seems a no-nonsense sort of person.

Both the miniwombles are now back at university. I had dinner out with them separately for a bit of catching up and bonding: madness in Guildford with Mega and shall-we-try-this-place Italian in Waterloo with Mini. I wish I knew if they appreciate how great I think they both are. I try to tell them, but hey when your Mum says something isn't it best to ignore it? They have their different characters and ways but to me they seem very sensible and grounded, polite, funny, intelligent, great company. Both seem mature too, beyond their years. I've met a few graduates etc over the last few years through work, with people volunteering and interning and common sense is not to be taken for granted. I don't know how some people escape with GSCEs let alone a degree.

Talking of which, it might seem that I would be on the side of the Government and its move to get rid of many GCSE equivalents. It may be that the 'system' of equivalents wasn't perfect but people aren't all the same. We need to find a way to encourage students to get the most of out school while they are there. If they're told that the course they're doing has no value in the eyes of colleges of further education, potential employers and so on then they will stop doing them. If the courses really aren't of value then this is not a problem. But many courses lead directly to the possibility of paid work like the much exampled fish husbandry qualification. Lots of demand for that in Scotland let alone other places in this island nation. How many people can say they've a better chance of a job because they got a C in GCSE history? (Don't leap on me for the example).

Academia has its place but we need to really acknowledge that people are different, they learn differently, they have different skills. I could never be a hairdresser but I'm glad my coiffeur has trained to look after my ailing locks. We need our young people to train in the way that works for them, in the subjects and disciplines in which they are best suited. That way, we all win. Carry on as we are, and you don't need to wonder why the disaffected NEETs might go on another riot as soon as the weather is a bit warmer.

No comments: