Sunday, February 26, 2012

One for the ladies

TMI warning!

So, I went along to get the coil fitted. I was seen pretty much on time by a furry-faced, senior medic-type person with a woolly jumper with sleeves that went down below his elbows!!!! Shock, horror. I presume he rolled his sleeves up at some point in the proceedings.

By the time you get to an age, you've had a few of *those* appointments where they prod and poke around down there. They stick things in, remove bits, tell you to relax and then, when you jump a few inches into the air grimacing quietly, ask if you're ok. They even ask if you want them to stop [whatever procedure]. This always seems to be a bit of a daft question to me. It might be "customer friendly" but if they stop and it's a necessary procedure when do they actually get to do the thing they're down there for? "Oh dear, it hurts too much I'll come back another day"? They ask if it hurts "much". Well, compared to what? Childbirth? Elbow after post-operative pain relief has worn off? Stubbing your toe against the bedroom door (yes that one can be quite nasty)?

I'm not sure what I want them to do, really. Perhaps acknowledge that, yes it must be uncomfortable but, if it's ok, we have to continue and it won't take much longer?

Anyway, I'm upto two implants now. Or is it four...... My aim is to get interesting x-rays wherever you look in my body! Amusingly, there's obviously a list of potential side-effects, things that might go awry in the first few weeks after the fitting and they have to advise you of them. Fair enough, but pregnancy? Purleeze, you could have skipped that one. I don't think that's going to happen now when I've managed ok over the last 19 years or so.

No comments: