Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Scooterists grrrr

There I am, cycling home. Get to the usual roadworks but a stop-go red light thing has appeared since yesterday. Quite handy immediately in front of a zebra crossing when the pedestrians think you should let them cross when the light your side is green! Anyway, am waiting there and a nee-naw comes up behind us. For some reason a bus continues coming through towards us, car behind it stops but the motorbikes next to me try to scatter a bit to let the nee-naw through. It passes, light is still green so we all set off, bikes and motorbikes. A few yards forward, a scooter turns left in front of me. So I went into him. Doh. I was wearing my nice yellow cagoule (very difficult to miss) and my lights were on. He said sorry. First thing I said was "Well, it's a brand new bicycle.", ie. this may cost you.... Once I'd disentangled the bike from his scooter, we pulled over to one side and I took his details and gave him my name and phone number. Grrrr.

I pedalled off about 5 yards and realised the damaged spokes in the front wheel were flapping about! As you know, I'm not a cycle-type person. I fiddled about and decided to just damn well bend the offenders and poke them behind some of their friends to keep them out of the way. That seemed to work. Must admit, I went more slowly than usual for the rest of the journey home. This happened on the Kings Road, before the turn off to Wandsworth Bridge, so I had a few miles to go yet. All I could think was "Better get on with it, little bruv is coming round to fix rack to bike"! Nerves not at all frayed, no. Apart from bliddy rabbit running alongside by the A3 and me going "NO, really don't need to kill a bunny just now". And my cat not being very clear as to whether she was going to stop or run in front of me on the drive..... Apart from that, no problems......

Little bruv arrived, a bit later than originally planned. He reckons the wheel is fixable, I just need to do a pathetic girly thing at Cycle Surgery near work and ask them to fix it before home time. In the meantime, I get to ride bike with slightly wiggly front wheel all the way to work again.

Amusing moment. Took rucsac off to get pen and paper out to take details and thought "Hmmm, how many cyclists carry the Communications Act 2003 around with them?". I should have torn a page out of that instead of my diary. One about radio spectrum wouldn't be missed.
Smile

9 comments:

Mx said...

Adventure cycling!

Anonymous said...

...and of course, having disc brakes meant that yer wobbly wheel rim wasn't rubbing against any brake blocks! Lemme know what the bike shop says. x

Cath Delaney said...

ditto what little bruv says i.e. it should be relatively easy to fix it if it hasn't wobbled too much out of shape. Hopefully if they put new spokes on it and realign everything and the tension in the wheel is right... it should be okay again. Tis a new wheel... hence less wear and tear and so hopefully it will be less prone to buckledom (unlike mine that had done 1500 miles and buckled with ONE spoke gone never mind two). Second thing... I'd speak to the supplier... cos spokes which are tight, even in a minor rcash shouldn't really twang out.

(Unless you whacked that scooter with some force... which in that case, maybe it knocked some sense into the eejut riding it!!!0

womble said...

And the repair came to the princely sum of ...... £15!!!!! Bloke in the shop said I should have claimed for a new wheel!

RobW said...

Not bad - price of a couple of spokes and a retruing. I had the misfortune once of putting my chain into my rear wheel spokes. Broke 10 of them. The wheel was so buckled it was stuck fast.

beanz said...

so long as you are ok that's all that really matters

I thought you were going to tell this story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1892378,00.html

Highway Kind said...

That is really bad luck thank goodness it was only a bumplet.

But you've got your initiation ritual out of the way and you and your new bike are now seasoned cycle commuters.

It chimes in with Mat Seaton in the Guardian last week writing about how much he hates scooters

Take care

Highway Kind said...

Whoops it looks like I cross posted with Beanz

womble said...

One of the other cyclists at work said "You've had your first RTA now :D"