Monday, October 02, 2006

Phew!

I did it. I cycled to work! All I've got to do is get back home again now! Wasn't too bad at all. Cycle paths and lanes for quite a lot of the route. I took the lead from other cyclists at Parliament Square and got off and walked one corner instead of doing the three sides of a race track. I'm sure I'll learn some quicker bits of the route. I wasn't quite the slowest person out there but I was getting overtaken at regular intervals. I'm sure there never used to be that many cyclists on the road.

About 13 miles, as you asked.

[Edit later]

I got home too! Far busier on the way home. Thoughts on the day?
  • pedestrians should be shot
  • cycle lanes need to be wider to accommodate people overtaking each other (yes I found someone slower than me)
  • bicycles are very quiet so you don't hear them sneaking up on you
  • motorists will not win in heavy traffic, so there's no point in hooting, we'll sail by quite soon
  • who's going to hear the dainty 'ping' of a bike bell above the traffic noise?
  • just because you can run a certain route doesn't mean you can cycle it!
And I'm not worried about doing it again tomorrow!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good onya! It's a pretty full on experience riding Up Town, though I've not done it that much. It's a bit sensory overload at first, but then you adjust. Hope the bike's behaving...

womble said...

Realising I had to get round Aldwych one-way rally system was interesting! The bike has been lovely so far :o)

I'll have to look at the map to find some other ways to get round the tricky bits, including not turning right at the 'buses only' turn just near work! Followed by not going through a no-entry sign by cycling on the pavement for the last 10 yards.

As you can see, I'm turning into a metrocyclist already!

Mx said...

Woohoo!

beanz said...

well done

take care

x

Cath Delaney said...

hmmph. I could cycle to work but there's nowhere safe to put the bliddy bike when I get there!

Good for you though!

:o)

b-z said...

Im a pedestrian
leave me alone

Highway Kind said...

I hpe this is getting easier every day.

The trouble I find is that everyone seems to think they are in some competition with everyone else: cars vs bikes vs scooters vs pedestrians and nobody likes bendy buses.

Have you tried riding alog the South Bank? It's not too bad