Sunday, April 16, 2006

Tapering with a bang

So the lovely Leon is on his way home and says do you want to run? Ooh good idea. So, off we go, round the Park, gently pootling along, little bit of chat about the week with the children. Have a quick slurp of water before the final leg from Kingston Gate to home. Trot along pavement and THWACK the ground rises up to meet me, too quickly to practise my rolling technique. Put hands out, manage to hit head during the involuntary almost somersault and end up lying on my back across the pavement in the middle of someone's drive. Now, very unusually, I had absolutely no inclination to hop back up and carry on. My left hand HURT, my left knee was bleeding and I knew I'd hit my head which I've not done before. BLEURGH........ Very concerned lady (owner of the drive) asked if she could help, but we declined (I really didn't want to run the risk of making nasty mess in her house or car and it felt quite possible that I was going to chuck up). Eventually got back up on my feet (after a false start or two) and we walked the remaining mile and a bit home. It's quite funny having a nurse with you at times like this!!!!

Now the hurty hand was swelling like there was no tomorrow. Nurse Leon managed to get my ring off before it impeded circulation and we did a teeny bit of cleaning up. Then I was filled with max quantities of painkillers. Followed by ice packing around the hand. Miniwombles were staying over so they were all concerned (probably about how tea was going to be made...). Sweet and sour chicken and noodles was a joint effort between the one-handed me and Mini. Leon had a prior engagement so had to leave me with the juniors. I said I was sure they could manage to call for assistance if necessary!

Today, hand is still pretty swollen but improving. I've done some cleaning up, nice gritty grazes never hurt at that point, do they??? Haven't been to A&E because even if it's broken (suspect the ring-finger metacarpal), they're not going to do much anyway. There is some nasty hurty thing going on when I try to move the hand the wrong way or it gets knocked. Mini says I should be put in the large roll of bubblewrap, Leon just says I shouldn't be let outside!!! Mega just grunts and looks suitably supportive and concerned.

So, can I do the fun run with a hurty hand (hopefully less so by then)? If I do run, do I get extra browny points for nicely grazed knee? And how to do all the typing at work one-handed? I realise now that being almost able to type properly can suddenly be a disadvantage when only one hand is available for use. And it's my mouse hand (right-handed but left-moused, yes I know...).
Swollen hurty hand.


The illustrated side!

'Normal' hand.

Stats for the run? 9.27 miles (excluding walk home), average pace 9.50. And I scratched my Garmin
Crying

6 comments:

b-z said...

er, dont mess with hands
I would go to A and e actually
sorry
x

womble said...

My local nurse rang the dinosaur GP and they advised at worst it's an undisplaced break of ring finger metacarpal. Still hurts but swelling is going down a little. And there are advantages.... like there's no way I can do the washing up or anything that requires grip from two hands at the same time. Hmmm, not sure how to tackle bra on work day......

I've got a gory pic of my knees which I didn't post :o)

Perhaps I should run a vote-line on whether to go to A&E. Ring 090HURTHURT FOR YES AND 090NONOHURT for NO!!!

beanz said...

ooh poor you

can't give medical advicce with so many better qualified peeps - but look after yourself

x

XFR Bear said...

Well done Wumbly - the timing of Leon's phone call was perfect to distract the dino from snaffling half of my banoffee pie in te restaurant ;o)

Hope you're better soon xx

RobW said...

Oh Ouch but you do seem to have found some upsides no washing up etc etc.

Take care

Evil Pixie said...

MEGA ouch!
Poor you
go on show us the knee! We've had Bear's ankle and Benz's knee so why not yours!!