Friday, April 07, 2006

Almost like training

Wow! I've done 4 runs this week. Well, thought I should do some training for the London Fun Run in a couple of weeks. The Garmin says I've done 20.82 miles. And it feels like it. 'Fastest' average pace has been 9.52 and the slowest 10.40. Two of the runs have been at the club, so not me necessarily setting the pace, for the others I actually managed to get out on my own.

Today, I went to Richmond Park. It was very quiet except for the birds. The most unusual ones that I saw were a pair of
Egyptian Geese by the side of the path from Robin Hood Gate over towards Ham. If you follow the link, you'll see they're not supposed to live here but in the east of England. Perhaps they were just visiting. I also heard a woodpecker - twice - for the first time in ages. There were the usual parrots, jackdaws, crows, a jay, a heron, wood pigeons and one squirrel. As it was so quiet, the red deer were wandering about quite a lot and I actually had to run between what I think was one of last year's fawns and its mother. Fairly scary and potentially dangerous! Quite good for London, really. My fellow runners on the club run last Wednesday were very amused when I stopped the group to watch a bat flying around!

If I do the run thing on Sunday too, as I'm probably due another long run, then I'll be really trained up. Won't I?

4 comments:

beanz said...

nice run, pretty geese

are you doing this Reading thing too then?

Anonymous said...

These birds, they weren't sneezing or coughing, were they...?

womble said...

Oh no. Despite it being our club half marathon championships. I protested on several counts and was ignored! I don't think it's right for people doing FLM to have to do a hard race two weeks before. And Reading almost takes the whole day because of congestion and everything, even if you've only got to get back to SW London. And it's expensive.

[/rant]

womble said...

No, but the dog that was foaming at the mouth had me worried....