Thursday, August 16, 2007

HY 54 MXH

Feel free to abuse the driver of the above vehicle on my behalf. He nearly killed me this morning.

Cycling along Borough High Street, a car stopped to turn right, so the vehicle just in front of me decides to go left around it leaving me no space or time to do anything except head for the kerb at speed. I screamed quite loudly at the same time, mounted the kerb, miraculously managed to stay upright and swiftly rejoined the road to catch up with the offender. Which being a cyclist I did at the next lights. I leant my bike across the front of his car, and asked if he realised what he'd done. Was quite funny, as he went to get out of his car he was looking decidedly aggressive but strangely didn't pursue that position and did not deny anything. He said "I didn't see you. You're a cyclist." I pointed out my nice hivi vest and suggested he look a bit harder and use his mirrors. All he could come up with was that I was a cyclist so he didn't have to look for me. I was in the correct position in the road, the only thing that saved me from injury and him from the police was my quick thinking and a split-second or two of time. So I get back on my bike, realise something is wrong, catch up with him again and ask for details. He refused, said something not very polite and drove off.

With a very flat tyre, I walked the bike the last bit of my journey to work. The wheel doesn't seem to be dented (lucky I'm not one of those nancy boy TdF people with a flimsy bike), the puncture is sorted, I'm showered and at my desk. This rant is therapeutic at the moment. I know I should be working and I shall be very shortly.

And BREATHE.......

4 comments:

XFR Bear said...

I'd still report him to the police.

B*stard!

beanz said...

{{{Karen}}}

Highway Kind said...

Hateful

Bad driving + belligerence has to be the most dangerous combination

Anyway well done on your reflexes and being unharmed.

b-z said...

I hope you are going to report him

maybe you should have phoned the police and said you suspected drunk driving