Sunday, July 29, 2007

I don't know

What is it about relationships? How come we have such joy when we're in them and such sorrow when they finish?

6 comments:

XFR Bear said...

It's a big topic(!!)

I guess maybe it's partly to do with feeling accepted - and having someone who is "special" to us and we are special to them too Losing those means rejection and no longer belonging and being special in that way.

Having said that, we're the same person that we were when we went into it, and you can be an ultimately wonderful person without a relationship, and everything that you were before the relationship is still there.

I don't have all the answers :-(

beanz said...

what bear said

beanz said...

oh and

xxx

womble said...

Thanks, beanz. Although I will say this was simply an observation rather than anything in particular to do with myself (for once!).

Highway Kind said...

"You ask me what life is? It is like asking what is a carrot, and nothing more is known."
Chekov (quoted in Julian Barnes 'Staring at the sun')

So there you have it, by extension, relationships are like a carrot.

(but there again carrots have never caused me much in the way of either joy or sorrow)

b-z said...

Highway Kind

Bloody hell, I LOVE your posts, I really do(pleas come and sort me out forthwith|!

I agree with bear though
Whilst relationships can be the source of huge joy and pain-it is who we are as ourselves that counts, and we have to try not to be defined by other people

I know how impossible that is-but-------