Had an interesting day today. It was a Drugs Awareness training session for Crisis volunteers. There were five of us delegates and the woman presenting the event was superb. She has spent a lot of time working with drug issues and homeless people so she really understood the situations we're likely to come across with our guests and members at Crisis. I learned loads about causes of drug-taking, effects of drugs, signs to look for, what happens when people are in withdrawal etc etc. I suppose I did actually know more than I thought but it was good to approach it all in a logical, structured way. Excellent preparation for Open Christmas!
Where was the drunken sailor? Ah, yes. That was me. The venue was HMS Belfast and we were in the Admiral's Quarters. I discovered that I seemed to be very sensitive to the movements of the ship. The speaker admitted that she could feel it moving, the other delegates said things like "It's not moving" or "Well, it might be" and I was "I'm going to fall over!". So I spent a very bizarre day feeling like I'd had a glass or two of fizzy, suitably giddy/light-headed but without going to the trouble of drinking anything. I suspect it was because I had no fixed reference point to look at. So my brain couldn't work out why my ears were saying the world was moving but the room was static in relation to what my eyes could see.
Funniest thing was, back on land I still felt like I was wobbling about!
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
- yep your eyes say you're not moving but your Euston Station tubes say you are - very confusing for the brain - and by the end of the day your brain is getting used to it so it tells your legs to compensate on dry land too!
Isn't it my semi-Circle Line canals?
ooh you could be right there - tis biology so not really my thing!
Post a Comment