Friday, November 02, 2007

Friday evening

And I'm sitting here on my own. It seems odd. Life has been, well, rather frantic of late. This time last week, I was in Eastbourne. The week before that, Amsterdam. Each time with different but good friends. Meeting new people, enjoying those I know and refreshing memories of acquaintances.

I haven't seen much of the children recently. Although, actually perhaps I have seen Miniwomble more than usual. She's been feeding the poor ol' cat during my absences. She's also had a two week half term holiday, so I've been able to see her on weekdays when it wouldn't normally have been possible. Megawomble, on the other hand, has been on scout hikes, off to see his girlfriend and, I don't know, I don't think our paths have crossed for a while. We've exchanged texts - we have a modern relationship! Anyway, tomorrow is looking like it will be a 'normal' Saturday. So, I'll try to persuade them to come shopping for food etc and Mega will find a reason to cycle to my house. He will then be on the pc by the time Mini and I return, bikes laden (and hopefully unpunctured). He might go for a bike ride in the afternoon. At some point, I'm hoping to find out where they'll be sleeping tomorrow night. Here or at their own house. I suppose those of you out there with older children will be nodding sagely at all this. It's new to me - the offspring choosing whether to see the 'absent parent' (aka 'parent without care' which always sounds like we don't care). I suppose I'm lucky in that they only live down the road anyway, so there's a sense of closeness even if we don't meet up. We all know we could in less than half an hour (and that's with digging the relevant bicycles out of a garage).

There's been a thread on RW forum, asking if your parents divorced. No, mine didn't. In fact, haven't. They will be celebrating their Golden Wedding next April. I haven't looked at the thread. Not even peeked in. I am only too aware of what divorce may or may not have done to my children. I hope that the ex and I have done our best. That was a big concern of ours when we split. I think the Minis and I have a good relationship, despite the parting of the ways. Time will tell, I suppose.

In the meantime, I am the source of bicycle maintenance, food, an alternative place to strop to (and they both have) and well, who knows.

3 comments:

womble said...

And then Miniwomble hoovered up one of my socks.....

beanz said...

:>)

a bit of down time on your own is probably good

your two sound pretty well adjusted so I shouldn't worry too much
x

Anonymous said...

Remember, Bicycle Repair Man is only a call away. No call out fee :o)