Monday, October 01, 2007

Guess what day it is

Yep.

Gym - two inductions. Why do people think it's ok to be late?

Cycling: got a puncture on Thursday morning. Persisted as far as I could before giving up and walking. This meant I was late for a meeting (no bad thing). Mileage was down - drink at Waterloo on Thursday saw me on the train again. Friday was the social, no way I was taking the bike with me that day.

Work: the meeting I tried to miss was an internal 'fluffy' one where our big boss is doing his best to sell 'the way' of doing things. He even got breakfast in to help. I asked my boss if I should come in this week as, from Monday, I had no further guarantee of being paid. My contract extension appeared within the hour! Then later the same day he talks about the [unlikely] possibility of me still being in post on payday in February, in which case I would be eligible for the company bonus. This means we're having an objective setting meeting this week so that the paperwork is in place. Just in case. Oink flap.

Running: had a good club run on Wednesday. 8 miles at a fair pace (9.18 I think) and I felt ok. Slightly tougher event on Sunday though. The Clarendon half marathon was almost completely off-road and HILLY. Very scenic though. After me whingeing that the pace was a bit fast at NF it was his turn to complain! It seems that I walk too fast! There was a stile in the middle of the course too, which caused rather a bottleneck, losing us about 8 minutes or so. Anyway, we stuck together, had a good run and finished in 2.21.58, not bad all in all.

Crisis: I was in the office on Friday. Went to an 'all staff' meeting at lunchtime about the 5 year strategy review for roll-out from next July. I found it interesting and useful, helps put all that we do in context of the big picture. Saturday found me out of bed far too early for the morning after a social to go back in for my first ever 'green badge' meeting. The green badge people are those senior volunteers who run the centres at Xmas. You'll be hearing more about this... It was good to meet lots of people that I know but usually only see at Open Christmas. I realised that these people and Crisis generally are a big part of my life. Next session is over Beachy Head weekend, so I'll be dragging my weary limbs into town on the Sunday. Oh yes, that'll be fun.

Miniwombles: it was Mega's girlfriend's birthday so he was off to see her on Saturday. The meeting at Crisis finished around 2.30pm, so I arranged to see Mini early evening for tea. This was going to be the first meeting with the person she refers to as 'Frog'. It went well. Apparently, she's very like me. I'm not one to be able to tell! Her father asked how it went and he says she gave him one of those withering, why-on-earth-wouldn't-it-be-fine type looks!

Music: I've got tickets to see The Cure in March. Yippee!!!! Went to a 'service' at Winchester Cathedral (fantastic building), comprising music, dance, a bit of drama and a lot of god. Interesting.... but then I knew one of the performers...

AOB: all lovely, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. In my defence I have to say:

(a) It's not that you walk too fast, it's that I walk too slowly! Already thinking "aaaaaaaaargh" for Beachy.

(b) I may aspire to convert you to curry, but not to god. I'm not a believer in the latter at all, but the chance to sing in a space like that was just too good to miss. The acoustics were incredible.

womble said...

(a) more training then ;o)

(b) yes, what is it they say about impossible we can do now, miracles take slightly longer....? And the acoustics were tremendous.

beanz said...

ah trying a bit harder this time - even taken trackies off.
And yes she does walk fast!