The 10k was desperately slow, as predicted. The journey to and from my parents' was fine, no hold-ups, all the trains ran on time. I arrived at their house when I said I would to find my Dad about to come and collect me. Pointing out that I had a bicycle they said "Oh well, we thought you might be tired." It's only four miles-ish and mostly on cycle track (but drifting uphill most of the way). I met their very bouncy new dog who understood quite quickly that I was not playing. Ever. On the Sunday when I was getting ready to depart, my Mum wanted to give me a lift back to the station, "You might be tired." [It was only a 10k, even if it was a crap one!] Again, I pointed out the bike and reminded them of carbon emissions! They're really into recycling and everything so it was funny of them to think of putting my bike in their car.
It's been a busy week. First two days at work and then two days with Crisis. I stuffed goody bags on Wednesday, leaving me with a wonderfully stiff back to drag around the club one mile championship that evening. I was last. Thursday found me in the office, answering calls mostly from people who'd forgotten their race pack and could they still run. Late on I had to produce a 'Toilet' sign and some extra leaflets to take with me to Paternoster Square by St Pauls, the venue for the Square Mile Run. Once there, I was: on the volunteers' information desk; on the New Entries desk handing out t-shirts to all those people I'd spoken to on the phone (and more); handing baggage back; tidying up and and and... The weather was kind and it was a great evening, yet again. Let's hope we raise lots of money.
Friday I managed finally to get out of bed at 3.30pm! I'd surfaced briefly to feed the cat and make appointments for opticians and doctors. I was so confused when I arose I didn't know what was going on at all!!! Anyway, eyesight has deteriorated as I thought. So I'm getting new contact lenses and will then see how the reading specs are. The Specsavers chappy said he thinks I should go to varifocal glasses. I said I didn't want to wear glasses.
I went to the doctors as I needed more anti-depressants but also to tell him that I would like to stop taking them. He asked how I was. I said "Improved but not as good as I should be. I've decided I should come off the tablets anyway and get on with it." I've got to the point now where I want to know how I really feel. I know it's not brilliant, but also that there's a drug masking it all. Timing might not be best though. The last few weeks, I've been struggling in the wilderness again. Neglecting friends, not doing things. I don't know why this is at all. However, I do recognise that it's pretty much how I felt early on last year when I 'closed down' for a while as I was getting really depressed about the lack of a job (ie. before the rest of the crap arrived). I know then that I neglected my best friends. My Oz friend admitted she thought she'd done something to upset me, which of course she hadn't. And, even worse, I've done it to another friend now. It seems that I become unable to keep up with all the things I would normally do. Why it is that I let my friends suffer, heaven only knows. I have some fantastic friends who've really looked after me in the last year or so (in particular) so why am I so bad at returning the kindness? Someone said to a friend recently that depression is all in the mind and you choose to be depressed. I wish.
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
((((Karen))))
your friends will still be there when you are ready
and nothing wrong with being last :>)
There are always so many things that need attention. Sometimes when things are low the only the immediate and close at hand can be attended to.
Your good friends will understand this.
The important thing is not to use it as another excuse to be hard on yourself.
You know what is right, you will do what is right and you will come through.
My father had depression in his sixties (after he had had shingles). Previously he had been of the snap-out-of-it school of psychology. He then realised that you do not choose this and you can only work through it slowly and painfully.
Sometimes it goes in the same strange way as it came. But do not feel the pressure to quit the drugs out of principle (that is only an extra anxiety). Do it when it feels right.
Best wishes
XX
"choose to be depressed?"
BOLLOCKS!
NO_ONE would choose such a horrible illness
i dont think you should stop the meds
Stopping the meds is when you have been feeling GOOD for 6 months
please think again
big fat hugs
Good friends aren't keeping score :-)
personally I'd suggest not stopping them, for exactly the reason Benz says
I have to argue against what Benzy and Bear say (sorry guys). Knowing you like I do, I personally think stopping the drugs will be a boost to your self-confidence. Yes, there will be a dip in emotions once you come off them, that's normal...but it won't be anywhere near what you've already been through. When I had them after my treatment finished, I took them for six months and they balanced out how I was feeling...after that, coming off them was difficult but it was also liberating in that I had a clearer idea of how I felt and how to work through things. The key is not to rush things and expect an immediate result.
As for the 'choosing' to be depressed, I can see where that sentiment comes from, I really can. But that's because I'm NOT depressed now. Only someone who isn't or hasn't been depressed can see things in such a mild black and white manner. Alot of people have misconceptions of 'depression' and think it's just profound sadness, when in fact, it's a lot more than that.
As for your friends... well, you know you sent me a text at 11pm last night. You held my hand through email all yesterday. When your friends are having a tough time, it's understood that they can still reach out and ask for your support - but then you've always done that for me. Am I special...? I don't think so. I think you're just kind and considerate and I'm very lucky to have a friend like you. So, when you need to take time out and have some down time where you don't talk or don't want to be bothered...that's okay, as long as you know that you too can reach out when you need to.
some of us may not be close enugh to hug but we're with you - not getting up till 3:30pm sounds pretty good to me - I wish!
xxzx
Post a Comment