Yes, the last night was Friday. Started with some hilarity when I revealed that my clothing for the evening consisted of my new red/blue winceyette pyjamas fresh from M&S! I have these lovely pink trousers that I usually wear to COC and they are always referred to as 'pyjamas' by the guests. The pyjama comment count was exceedingly high this year so I thought "Right, we'll give 'em pyjamas". Of course, it kept the volunteers amused too. Not sure that being introduced to the Chief Exec as "Here's Karen, one of our key volunteers in her pyjamas" was the best moment of the evening though....
I was 'upstairs' again, entrusted with looking after our sleeping guests for the last night. A night which is traditionally more fraught and emotional, with the guests knowing they have to leave the next day. We also have to get them out of bed earlier than usual too so we can start to close down the centre. It's a busy night for the volunteers too, as we have goody bags to make up and the closing down process starts as soon as we shut down the activity and service rooms for the last time. All the time trying to keep the guests looked after and feeling cared for. It wasn't bad at all and quieter than we could have expected.
In the morning my brief was to wake everyone at 7am and have the area clear of guests by 8am. Of course, we did it :D I had a fantastic team working with me. They got the guests up without too many swearwords being heard and stacked all the beds, bagged up the pillows and blankets, tidied and were general heroes. Our shift leader admitted that he was astounded when I radioed through at 8.03 to say our guests were all downstairs!
It was a good week. The 'Quiet' Centre wasn't as quiet as usual, particularly in the day time and we'll have to see how to manage that next year. In the meantime, I have been asked if I'd like to do the training to be a 'green badge' which is one of the senior volunteers :D
After the shift end, we decamped to a local hostelry where we bumped into the night shifts from the Drinkers' and Women's centres. We stayed for a little while. I eventually got home and was in bed by 4pm. The children arrived at 6pm and despite Miniwomble's sterling efforts I steadfastly refused to get up and arose this morning at 10am.
Tonight Megawomble is going to a New Year's Eve party. So Mini and I shall have popcorn and champagne - all the usual stuff for NYE :D
Happy New Year to you all.
xxxxxxxxx
Sunday, December 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Happy New Year to you too
xxxxxxxx
Happy New Year to you too
xxxxxxxx
ooh HNY twice - not sure how that happened!
and happy new year to you too love
things will be better next year
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Happy New Year to you too lovely!
:o)
xx
Post a Comment