Oh what a night! (There's a song there somewhere....)
I was 'downstairs' again. Managed to get things settled fairly well, tv rooms sorted and so on. One guest I knew from the beginning of the week was in the front entrance hall showing signs of not being so well. An elderly gentleman who had been a bit stroppy last night was there again, not looking quite so chipper. And one of our occasionally temperamental but vulnerable guests was also in the hallway. Was trying to settle the old chap and doing fairly well. Then the unwell chap deteriorated rapidly and I was radioing for help to say he was 'going' he fitted. So had to deal with that. He had fitted on our first shift too. Trouble is he seems to like the front hall to do it and then falls asleep. The doctor came and checked him over, especially handy as he decided to vomit while in her care! Was a good opportunity to clear the area of guests who were gathering for a chat (or a moan). The doctor also chatted to senior guest and agreed he looked pretty poorly. She tried to get him to sleep sitting up rather than hunched up, impacting his asthma.
We got the place really calm and peaceful. Only three or four guests awake downstairs which is pretty much a record for this week. Suddenly, there was a noise from the stairs. I went to investigate. The sign imploring guests to "Sshhhhhh" had fallen off the wall :D I fair near pissed myself laughing!
Then it went tits up. Another guest who had been drinking and gone off to the drinkers' centre, which is quite close to us, returned. This time, a little less cheery, steaming through the 'gate' team. I intercepted him and eyeballed the starey glazed look, deciding he'd had more than drink. A torrent of abuse made its way in the direction of our senior volunteers. It seemed he'd been unhappy at his treatment at the other centre. We discovered he'd been banned there. Usually we would hear quite quickly about a banning but as the other centre is so close he beat the message. After quite serious but unsuccessful attempts to calm him down, he was advised that he was banned from all centres and would have to leave. He wasn't happy but we'd already invited the local boys in blue to be there just in case he didn't want to go. And they were very helpful. And while it was happening, I sat on the floor next to my epileptic and beside my elderly guest trying to ensure they didn't get trodden on or bumped into. Phew.
After that, sorting out the early morning teas and coffees was fairly easy!
I'm back on the sleeping area duties tonight. It will be more difficult as the last night shift is always tricky as the guests can get become unsettled, emotional and unhappy at having to leave in the morning. Hopefully, they'll appreciate my special efforts at dressing up! And then we soujourn to the pub. Yes, at 09.00 on Saturday. Yes, I'll have been to the social this evening too. Does that count as a brick session?
Night night xxxxx
Friday, December 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
LOL to the brick session
you are going to need it though
x
A real Christmas star!
*****************
I laughed at the brick session thing too..!!
It only counts if you don't spend too long in transition. Glad it's your last night tonight ((hug))
x
Post a Comment