Thursday, October 27, 2011

A mid-week mini-break?

It's half term for some people and it was suggested that we 'do' something as the Autumnal visit to a Cornish b&b hadn't materialised as in recent years. An away match on a Tuesday in Torquay provided an excuse to head south and a daughter, newly studenting in Salford meant we could go north too. So that's what happened.

We stayed at the Exeter YHA which was good, although I'd forgotten that "muesli" usually means Alpen dust so didn't take any proper breakfast with me. The cooked breakfast ordered in my name still disappeared though. Football? Best forgotten.

A long-enough drive north, up the M5/M6, found us in Salford early afternoon driving round and round looking for a road with our destination writ upon. Ended up ringing the student who then guided us in from the view afforded from her penthouse flat. Student accommodation has definitely improved since my day, this is a purpose built block of flats for four in their own rooms with shared kitchen and bathroom. It still seemed a bit, I don't know, scruffy/bare or something. I got very annoyed on her behalf that two of the other three were ignoring the lack of 'designated smoking flat' status and smoking in their rooms and the kitchen! Oh and three of the other three flatmates are male. Having seen them though, I don't think she has anything to worry about!

We had a good catch-up and then we all went out for dinner in Manchester. The BBC drip-through to MediaCity hasn't quite got the restaurants and bars going in Salford just yet. We went to Pesto which was really quite good. The waiter described it as "Italian tapas" which sounded a bit odd but worked well. Their 4 dishes for £9.95 was excellent value and all the food was nice and properly cooked. Short of licking the plates, we didn't leave anything. Miniwomble and I had dessert and those were divine.

We stayed at a b&b in Salford and walked the 42 minutes there after we'd said our farewells back at studentsville. Mike had already dropped the car and bags there earlier but as soon as I saw the building I said "It's wonky". And it was. I can only think they didn't ask a surveyor for advice when they bought the place. We were on the top floor of a pair of semi-detached houses which seemed to have an aversion to the world as seen with a spirit level. Going upstairs was most disconcerting when you stepped onto a landing and it tried to persuade you off in a direction you didn't want to visit. Very strange experience and I wouldn't rush back.

And then another drive, back to London. It was raining but the cat was still alive.

No comments: