Monday, April 23, 2007

Busy few days

Wednesday

Went to Expo to collect chip and number. It was quite refreshing to walk around knowing I couldn't buy anything apart from my customary mug. Gave blood. Went to club in the evening to return a trophy, find out about bus for Sunday, have a last beer (or two-ish).

Thursday

Went to work!!! Found out that our working hours are 08.30-17.00 which is quite civilised. There are showers and somewhere to park a bike. Had a takeaway lunch on the rooftop garden with the regulatory (UK and Europe) team. Started filling in all the joining paperwork. I even went to a meeting, all on my own!

Friday

Work again. I managed to arrive at the same time as the boss and another chap from the team, so I could get in. It seems my own swipecard won't arrive until I've had the 'quick' security check (~2 weeks). Started doing some 'real' work and did a briefing note. Then there was that "Oh dear, this is that weekend again" feeling as I left the office. Friend dropped by unexpectedly to wish me well for Sunday. That was nice. Swiftly followed by the arrival of the first of the house guests. Further friend arrived bearing gifts of Easter eggs. I like friends like that!

Saturday

Miniwomble and I went shopping while Mega was supposed to make his way to the house. Another house guest arrived and we went to football - last home match of the season. It was not good. Mega retired to his house again during the afternoon as neighbourly noise was making his revision difficult. He came back again for food, and then cycled back to his house again. There was no room left at the inn! The remaining bodies were briefed on waking times to catch the club bus which was leaving at 7am.

Sunday

I do wish someone hadn't asked if I'd be able to sleep ok.... I woke at 4am. Anyway, I got the troops up, after stages of moaning and groaning, the best being about the shipping forecast! I even made them all sandwiches for their day's travails. We caught the bus ok but nerves started to jitter when the route seemed to take us past where it would normally have been expected to head in towards Greenwich. After a few minutes queueing, our driver took alternative action which included a trip north of the river. My stomach was starting to stress. We finally disembarked at about 08.40. After a team photo it was off to red start with my little support band who continued on to Mile 17.

It was so hot. I planned to go with the 11m/m pacing group but it really is a pace I find difficult to keep back at. So I plodded on, it was quite crowded for several miles. I gradually got hotter and hotter, despite pouring the remains of my water over myself every mile. Chocolate gratefully taken on board at mile 12 then it was the delights of mile 17 to look forward to. I really wanted to have a lie down by the time I got there! I'd bumped into a couple of clubmates before then which was great, and I stopped for a few minutes to chat. There was no rush really.

Mile 17 was good. Miniwomble was there, her first visit up to the marathon for a few years. She was busy looking after group 8. I didn't actually want anything to munch or nibble but a rehydration drink was accepted and I made sure I drank all of it. A few hugs, photos and a chat and I thought perhaps I ought to continue.

I was still doing ok. I was trying to keep to an organised run/walk routine. After a while that became a disorganised run/walk but pace wasn't too bad. I'd heard the Fetchies had a support stop too and I cadged some grapes. They were superb. A wonderful combination of juicy-ness and possibly some quick blood sugar too. I'd been having trouble with the sickly sweet lucozade. I had a couple of light-headed moments so I knew I needed some blood sugar as well as hydration.. On the Embankment I found a pirate walking/trudging along, so I chatted to him for a while before leaving him for a little trot. I was feeling a bit neglected at not seeing any more club folk or other friends (there's usually someone somewhere). On Birdcage Walk there was someone I knew from Crisis and then I finally found the Wateraid cheering point where I knew a good friend would be. I caught him unawares as he thought I'd gone past. He was playing with his camera (nothing new there!). So we had a little chat and then I thought I should really do the last few hundred metres and get the thing finished! He phoned today and commented that it was nice that I stopped when so close to the finish!

I was pleased how I did. What with the non-training (29 runs this year) and heat, I went through the finish line feeling quite pleased with myself. Take off all the chatting and I would have been sub-5! Then it was off to the Crisis reception and my chance to see if the masseuses would be nice to me. I'd been the person ringing them all to ask if they'd help us out. Support team arrived looking knackered and sat quietly while I was having my rub-down!

Back on the club bus it was clear that most people had missed their expected times by some big margins. I almost felt guilty at being happy with what I'd managed. There were some successes and everyone had completed the distance which was good too. I introduced one of our newest members to the main benefit of joining - the famous home-made cakes :o) Rehydration and fuelling took place with pizza/curry at the club as is our custom. First house guest left to make her way home. Miniwomble went to sleep fairly quickly once we got home. I decided I should wait up for other house guest. It was just as well as I had to go and retrieve him, having gotten the wrong train!

Monday

I had to get up early (well, ok, 08.30) to phone the dentist. Mini had chipped her damaged tooth again. Luckily, there was an appointment available at 11.30 so after ringing her school I went back to bed! Final house guest left by about 2pm, so I had the house to share with the cat again for a few hours. Then the minis returned!

The massage on my legs obviously helped yesterday. I've been skipping about, running up and down stairs with gay abandon. I even cycled to/from the dentist and the minis' house without any trouble. I have a full massage booked for tomorrow evening.

A busy few days but an enjoyable time, mostly. Spent in the company of good friends and my lovely children.

Flora London Marathon 2007

Results

10 km 1:04:39

20 km 2:13:15

half 2:20:30

30 km 3:28:49

40 km 4:46:39

finish 5:05:14

7 comments:

Cath Delaney said...

So.. you do the marathon and skip about up and down stairs with gay abandon... and for some reason, I'm stiff as a board today. Almost penguin-like. Next weekend will be fun! Not!! ;o)

Thankies for the hostelry this weekend, was muchly appreciated! :o))

beanz said...

is that the best photo they coudl do - I saw you smiling!

cad - I too am stiff today!

well done on the run - you are obviously made of stern stuff

XFR Bear said...

supporting is obviously a lot more knackering than running!

Well done Wumbly!

b-z said...

Nice report luv
x

Highway Kind said...

Well done.

You are one of the few who came out stronger. Most of people I know who ran are still picking themselves up after a tougher than expected time.

But the skipping cannot last

Cath Delaney said...

HK, the skipping will not last if we kneecap her..!!!

;o)

womble said...

Is the kneecapping before or after Sunday? I need to know what to do with my number ;o)

Massage last night was wonderful. More skippy than a kangaroo today :D