Sunday, July 23, 2006

A year on

Today was the Elmbridge 10k, a fairly local race. This picture is from last year, when Leon and I ran together, the day after we first met. I finished today in 50.58, only 20 secs slower than the pb I set the other week, so I was quite happy with that.

What has happened since last year's race then? Well, I fell in love with someone in a way that I had not experienced before. Head over heels (which became more literal in April this year). After much travelling between Liverpool and London, as well as other places, Leon moved to a new job and we started a new life together. At Xmas we got engaged. We were happy. There was a great skiing holiday with some of our best mates at the end of January. I was out of work and learning how to make money on ebay. The London Marathon loomed and Leon was piling on the miles.

Late in March, returning from dropping the children back home, the bombshell was dropped. My love and care for the children was not enough. It was not the right love. Shocked, I pleaded to be given a chance to prove him wrong. The next day I set about changing things in the house to make it less stressful, a more small-child-friendly environment. Perhaps I had let my growing depression over the lack of work take its toll in other facets of life. A fortnight later, a repeat conversation although yes the children had just had a lovely time with the two of us. A big decision had been taken without any discussion between us although it seems with other people.

Things were changing. Less than two weeks after that second conversation, there was a party in Birmingham at the end of the week when the children were next staying. Wouldn't it be nice for them to spend time with other little peeps their age and for one of us to meet up with a few forum friends. With my own children around it wasn't practical for me to go too. They all seemed to have had a good time. Another get-together was to take place at the same house so one or two people who couldn't make the first could go along. Asking if I could go, I was shocked at the response "Can't I have some time to myself?", said in a very impatient way. So taken aback at this, I apologised the next day, presuming I had been crowding him. What I didn't know was that he'd already slept with the hostess that first weekend and was looking forward to their next rendezvous. This, when I thought we were both still hurting and that, possibly unrealistically, there was a chance of reconciliation.

The London Marathon came. Leon did a fantastic time. I hadn't done the training but was quite pleased with how I'd done (once you'd taken out the time for the 8 loo stops). However, a faint niggling concern triggered by mysterious phone calls and texting was confirmed. Right in front of me, there was my fiance flirting rather closely with the hostess from Brum. From the best day of my life at Xmas, this was my worst. This is a photo of me at The Thistle that day, now you know why I looked so shit. Nothing to do with running a marathon but more about my life falling apart in front of me.

Since then? Well, many of you will have seen 'stuff' on the RW forum. I have discovered that the person I love has lied to me, sometimes in a bare-faced way but more often by omission. He has said that I am important to him and will always be a huge part of his life. The reality? I am treated like shit.

So, one year on. Where am I? I have been through the absolute peaks of happiness and troughs of despair. I have discovered that I have some absolutely incredible friends, supporting me through all this. I don't know how I shall ever be able to repay them. And where is Leon? He still lives in this house, we share the same bed, we eat together, shifts permitting we travel to work together. Yet he is at best a Monday to Thursday friend. From being so important, when he is away, there is little or no contact. Even when I have to pass on family messages there is only the most brief of replies, if that. This is someone who always claims that his friends are so important to him. Perhaps I am no longer in that category.

The future? I have no crystal ball. But. All I can say, inexplicably, is that I still love Leon. He has never left my heart and I would take him back into my arms this minute. I have tried to stay true to myself and my love for him and I showed him this post before putting it up for you, my friends. My apologies to those of you who didn't know what has been going on.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen. You must be hurting so very badly now, and have been hurting for some time now. Your friends -your real friends - will help you get through this.

So very sorry that what started out so bright and hopeful has become tarnished.

Don't let this stop you being the lovely, kind, generous and loving person we see and appreciate.

xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh god Karen - I wish I could make it better - I'm sure we all do. You know from our MSN's that this isn't news to me and I hope I have been able to offer some comfort or support over the last few months. This is an unbearable situ and if you are strong enough, please try to get Leon to move out - this is only compounding your pain, even though I'm sure it seems like something is better than nothing. You are such a fab fab person and it breaks my heart to think of you in this - my home is always open to you if you need to escape - North Wales is quite sunny at the moment!!

Biggest hugs and everything go to you and the mini-wombles. All the children in fact. You are worth so much more than this Karen, you really are.

I'm sure others will put all this in to much better words, but we are here for you.

XFR Bear said...

Well - I guess I knew most of that already, and don't really have much to add - so I'll just send you a ton of hugs and to let you know that I'm for you


((((( WOmbly ))))

beanz said...

{{{{Karen}}}}

x

Highway Kind said...

Karen

I read this with amazement - keeping going through all of this takes so much strength.

I cannot say anything that helps. The only thing I can say is that through reading all your posts, I get the impression that you have a great heart.

I really wish you well

b-z said...

This is a public blog
And a lot of what i have had to say about this has been via private e mail



For the public viewpoint
I am deeply saddened by what has happened

You must find the strength to do what you need to do
you deserve better than second best

And i weep with you in your pain
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cath Delaney said...

((hug))

You know where I am honey

x

Anonymous said...

((((Karen))))

I had absolutely no idea . . so sorry to find out that this has all turned so horribly sour . . what a nightmare for you.

Wish I could say something that might make a difference. Thinking of you.

Lots of hugs xx

Anonymous said...

Karen.. I hope yopu don't mind, but Rich showed me this.
What can I say that hasn't been said... I really feel for you, and I hope the messages of support are taking at least some of the pain away.

You don't deserve to be treated like that... no one does.

Let him go so he can stop ruining your life.

You are worth so much more and there is someone for you who will show you that.

Take care (((Karen)))
xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving this anonymously but I think you'll know who I am. I am so sorry that things didn't work out for you, on the few occasions that we have met you seemed such a nice person, I have thought for some time that things were not right, but didn't like to say. If you want to contact me then please do, Cath can probably give you my e mail or you have my phone number but I will leave that choice to you.
Take care of yourself and do what is best for you, it's yourself and your heart you have to think of now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Anonymous I have an idea who you are. I'm really sorry, but I don't have your email address any longer..!! I lost everyone's mail addresses in a PC overhaul a few months ago. Those I haven't had contact with, I've been unable to update.

RobW said...

(((Womble)))

Anonymous said...

mava here. I'm only posting as anonymous as I don't have my login details.

(((((Karen)))))

You deserve better than this. I'll be there for you.

xxxxx

womble said...

Crow, thanks for your support. I've had to delete your comment and have sent you an e-mail by way of explanation.

xxx

XFR Bear said...

oops - just noticed I put "I'm for you" when I meant "I'm *there* for you"

Anonymous said...

Pack his bags and kick him to the kerb. He's made a fool of you, and likely he'll do the same to her.

Although from what I've seen, they deserve each other.

I've been reading your blog for a while (I am a forumite) and you seem like a kind and decent person. Him, not so much. You can do better.

Anonymous said...

You seem to be bright, funny, insightful and caring - please don't settle for someone who doesn't appreciate that.

I'm sure he's sorry he's hurt you (or is at least sorry that he got caught hurting you). But it's not your job to help him come to terms with that. It's not your job to help him through this break up.

He's decided he wants to go - get him out of your home and out of your life now. Don't try to reconcile the guy you fell in love with and the shit he turned out to be. Put your energy into moving forward.

Like the others have said, you deserve better - move on from this and you'll find it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you've run into this kind of person: you might wonder why they can criticize your care for their offspring, and then turn around and use said offspring as an alibi/excuse for adultery. Some contradiction there, surely?
The answer is pretty simple: they don't regard anyone else as 'real', in the way that you (and I) do, and tend to see other people in terms of what those other people can provide to themselves in the way of entertainment, comfort etc. Essentially they see others as animated puppets without much in the way of feelings, and certainly nothing like their own feelings. They might want one of the puppets (that would be you) to look after some of their other puppets (that would be the offspring) but that will in no way stop them using the offspring to get whatever they want in the short term.
I've run into men (and women) like this all my life: mired in a totally solipsistic view of the world, and catered to by well-meaning people who make the mistake of assuming that the internal processes of the loved one are the same as their own.
I don't think they're bad people: they just operate on a different set of assumptions to the rest of the world, in the same way that people with Asperger's syndrome or autism do.
That doesn't make them any less hurtful to deal with. They are like the scorpion in the Fable of the scorpion and the otter. Being hurtful is what they do.
You need this person out of your life. The longer he stays in it the more you will blame yourself in the future (getting the injured party to shoulder the blame is another neat trick of this sort of person). It's a bit like having gangrene: you're much better off amputating the toe. Wait too long and it will be the leg.
Peter

Anonymous said...

I think you hit the nail on the head there Peter

Anonymous said...

That's quite an impassioned comment Peter, but I do like the analogy of gangrene - so many times I've ended up losing a leg because I didn't think I could face losing a toe. I shall remember that.

Anonymous said...

It's all been said. Love is such a sneaky emotion. It can hit hard and fast and we are blinded by the dazzle of the happy, content feelings of belonging, feeling loved, safe and secure. But once some of the layers are peeled away like trust and loyalty 'love' begins to show its true self. It can take many forms and altho we believe we still continue to feel 'love', this its not the same once revealed.
I've said you are brave and I believe that the tears will help cleanse the soul. You have amazing strength and a very supportive network of friends. You will rise to the top and be 'Karen' again.
P