Sunday, January 01, 2012

Crisis at Christmas 2011

This year's first shift for both of us was on 22 December, again we are people of the night! Mike was lead kitchen person = chef at the Rough Sleepers centre, and I was to be based at our Operations Centre = warehouse. Crisis at Christmas was marking its 40th year with all sorts of events and publicity, lots of television coverage and coincidentally we were one of the charities to benefit from the ITV 'Text Santa' extravaganza.

Being at different centres made the travelling arrangements more 'interesting' than usual. Mike drove in each night as getting to the far side of London (near City Airport) takes quite a while by public transport. On the days that there was transport. We started by sticking my bike in the car, being taken to my centre and then Mike going on to his. I would then bike, train, bike back home in the morning. Christmas day I cycled home! About 14 miles into a headwind. It was a lovely finish to the ride to come through Richmond Park but my legs were very tired. I did a day and a half of sitting in the car for my travelling, along with other volunteers collected en route. I even managed to take the bike on the District Line one day when there was a points failure at Putney meaning no trains.

I was at the Ops centre as the normal lead volunteer there wanted to take 2-3 shifts off to see his partner. This meant two shifts for me finding out what they do and then three in charge! I've never led a shift before, I'm an assistant shift leader. At Ops, we are based in the same building as the transport people overnight, along with a motley collection of staff who do extreme hours over Christmas. We answer phone calls and e-mails from the residential centres seeking advice on their plumbing problems, trying to find things (which we know they've got but can't find), sort out some 'emergency' supplies, accompany drivers on occasional journeys and clean the place up. We sorted socks and tins (separate days and jobs), input data, cleaned fridges, did turkey watch .... you just can't imagine the excitement! Briefing a team at the beginning of the night when you don't know what's going to happen is quite good fun! I had wonderful volunteers all week who were happy to be incredibly flexible and do whatever I asked. Of course, being in the warehouse does mean you can go and find anything you might need (like chocolate!).

My shift leader was back for shift 6 of 8 and we worked together. Shift 7 found me at our Women's Centre as their leader's partner was unwell and so I stepped in. It was a good experience to see how another guest centre is run, and it made me reflect on a few things. I cycled home from there (Notting Hill area) which was another 10.5 miles into a headwind. I think cycle route waymarking is improving but it could still be better. A sign pointing at a road which then forks three ways almost immediately is not much use unless it tells you which fork to take. I had been sensible enough to take an A-Z with me. The assistant shift leader there was very competent and we agreed that I really didn't need to return to handhold for the last night.

So, what to do? I was in danger of being invited to three post-last-shift pubs but Mike would only be at one. A quick text to my old shift leader found me at the same centre as Mike for the last shift (and pub). It was great being back in a familiar centre, with guests and volunteers that I know too. The last shift is often very stressful as guests are worried about what they are returning to, having had a good week with Crisis. Things can get tetchy but this year, the night went really well which meant that most guests had a good last night's sleep. The whole week had gone well. The atmosphere in the centre seemed good. In the 'wide awake' area it was fabulous to see mixed groups of guests participating in various games - floor chess, table tennis, cards, connect4, jenga (floor size) and so on. Another funny highlight for me was seeing lego! Now who doesn't want to play with lego?

I was touched by a report that a guest had, earlier in the week, asked after the 'lady in the pyjamas'. You have to see my bright pink, patterned trousers which are reserved for Christmas! My gate crew seemed to have missed me too, standing outside with them all week like I would normally. Never has a shift been littered with so many hugs.

Mike was enjoying cooking for the volunteers overnight, about 100 or so of them. He also had to prepare breakfast for about 350-400 guests. The food was going down well. He had a complaint from the shift team that volunteers were taking too long over their food! An edict followed of 'no more puddings' which meant I only got a main course when I arrived on the last night. One of the transport drivers earlier in the week had told me that he was timing his trip to the centre to coincide with meal time as 'the canteen there is fantastic'!! I did get to sample some of the food though, as doggy bags came home some mornings.

We turn our days on their heads to cope with eight night shifts. That means breakfast in the evening before going on shift, dinner and a glass of something in the morning before going to bed. You have to get used to going to sleep in the light but I'm used to getting up when it's dark. The confusing bit is waking up during the 'night' and being totally confused whether it's light or dark - light means it's before about 4pm (or the next day - this happened to someone once) and dark means after 4pm but you don't know if the clock has gone off or not! Drinking in the morning sounds very naughty but it does help the relaxation process.

After the last shift there were the usual presentations and awards, anecdotes and tears and then we made our way to a dodgy pub nearby that was willing to open at about 09.30 for 50-60 people who were already tired and emotional..... We got home by about 5pm, even more relaxed. The bikes stayed at Richmond station :-)

No comments: