It was pay day today. Unfortunately, my last 'proper' pay day in this job. We get paid on the 10th for the whole month (seemed odd to me but hey). I'm due 7 days of holiday pay (which is three and a half weeks for a part-timer like me) so I hope that will turn up sometime in the New Year, perhaps the 10th even. I have four working days left, which feels a bit odd. I have to start thinking about bringing my 'stuff' home on the bike over those days. Also need another job. Soon.
We went to see Michael Nyman at the Barbican Hall on Thursday. It was pretty damn good. I've seen him live before and I wasn't disappointed. A mixture of old (from Drowning by Numbers) and new, including 50,000 Pairs of Feet Can't be Wrong (or something along those lines) inspired by/written for the Great North Run. We tried to have a quiet pint before the concert but, for some reason, all the pubs seemed to be absolutely heaving. We squeezed into a noisy corner of one anyway. I've worked around the Moorgate area a few times so it was fun to be in familiar settings. Unlike someone else who didn't even know that huge numbers of people live at the Barbican. These yokels.....
Crisis continues to be busy but perhaps, just maybe, it's starting to ease off slightly. The Carol Service was on Saturday, I hope it went well. My success in getting the thing listed saw Transport for London including the service in their festive listings leaflet/poster but without mentioning that you needed a ticket.... At this point you need to know that I didn't contact TfL, they must have spotted detail of the service somewhere and decided to list it without checking with us! We've finally had our buildings confirmed for Open Christmas which is a great relief. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to work at 'my' planned centre as it's not the most cycle-friendly of areas to get to, traffic-wise. I'm in the office tomorrow, so will have to have a chat or two about things. Meantimes, if you're at a loose end over the festive period (23-30th in particular), then why not volunteer for a couple of shifts? We're short of volunteers as we're opening an extra centre compared to last year. Click here.
A busy weekend saw Megawomble on a first aid course (which he was sure he'd told me about, according to Mini) and Miniwomble getting her hair done. She loved it when it was finished and then hated it on arriving back at mine after cycling in the rain. Oh dear, she's going to have learn about that one. We made the festive cake too.
On Sunday, I was in a race down off past Guildford somewhere. I managed to get a lift with someone who can get lost even with the technology to hand..... We weren't late though. It was approximately 8 miles, tough in the first half (felt mostly uphill) and then not so bad. I hadn't run for ages but it wasn't my legs that were the problem, it was my lungs. It would seem they were still clogged up from the nasty cold. So, it was a slow slog in the cold and wind and rain. A bright point though, it was a club grand prix race and there were only two ladies in our vest on the day so I came away with nine points! This saw me sliding elegantly into third place in the table. LOL
After the race, it was time to get back home, shower and then pedal off to Hammersmith for a lovely social lunch. Twenty two people in a pub on the river. It was good fun and we always do a Secret Santa. I got home just after 7pm from a 2pm lunch.
I cycled in to town this morning to do a gym induction. A bit excessive just for one but this was the chap I'd had to let down due to bike failure a few weeks back. He e-mailed me later to say the induction had been informative and he'd had fun! And the afternoon was spent, unexpectedly, in rather good company.

5 comments:
Michael Nyman was excellent!
("Yokel" indeed, hmph....)
Pleased things are going well
sorry can't do a shift - will have to donate another way
(you did do the sky diving didn't you?)
Does lunch in Aylesbury sound sponsor-worthy?
was it that horrid?
No, it wasn't actually. Just that we didn't do the skydiving thing.
Post a Comment