Monday, December 24, 2007

It was all going so well - COC 2007 Day 1

The plans I had to try and start 'living' night shift didn't happen. I did manage to stay in bed until about 1pm on Sunday and then not do too much until leaving at about 5.30pm to pedal my way to Euston in the fog. It was odd finally to see the Centre with real live guests in place. I parked in the briefing room on the 4th floor, having transported the vehicle up the stairs with my own fair hands. Our shift team met up and we had a working curry (that's two this week....) nearby. Could I be in charge of shift changes? Ah well, might as well as I've been having nightmares about how to do it. Not that I'd found the answer but hey.

We briefed our people and changed out the afternoon shift nice and speedily. The evening had started with a slightly frightened feeling - of being short on volunteer numbers but also those volunteers that we did have were not very experienced. Fortunately, a few people turned up late and we were able to change shifts ok. The first big challenge of the night came in organising shift changes so that everyone could have dinner. This means effectively that everyone gets to do the same 'duty' ie. eating in as short a space of time as possible. When you only have a few spare people that makes it all interesting - a bit like that game where you move the space around. Anyway, managed that and can see a few ways to improve upon the experience tonight.

The second challenge was much more fun. The shift team had met to discuss our strategy for waking up time when we need more volunteers in position rather than in the tea break room. Nearly at the end of the last shift change, a loud bell rang. And kept ringing........ Ok, we have to evacuate. It was about 7.30am and most guests were still asleep. Oh ha ha bliddy ha. The morning shift team leaders had arrived and so they worked with us to clear everyone. It worked and the security team of the company that owns the building were impressed at how quickly we cleared the place and agreed that the emergency services need not be called out. [It was a poorly positioned tea-urn that caused the trouble]

So. Now we have an empty building; cold guests who were woken up rather abruptly; one shift of volunteers who would like to go home soon please; a second shift of volunteers busy arriving, not knowing what has gone on and needing to be briefed before being allocated duties. And a kitchen with a partly prepared cooked breakfast. You can imagine the answer was that our lovely night shift volunteers were released late to go home on their very first shift.

Us shift leader types, having debriefed the volunteer team, has to complete the day book which you can imagine was dominated by the alarm going off. I got home at 12.15pm having asked the nice people in the bike shop if they could pump up my tyres as I'd felt so sluggish on the way home. Fortunately, they were a little bit slack and I didn't embarrass myself on a fruitless errand. I whizzed the last half a mile home.

Overall, we had a good night, remarkably calm even after the unscheduled alarm call. I've had my dinner and a couple of beers so I'm off to sleep now.

Have a good Christmas Eve.

2 comments:

beanz said...

Hope Santa doesn't set off the alarms tonight!
xx

Highway Kind said...

Just full of admiration for the good work you are doing.

Hope you have a great new Year