Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Interview done

I hate interviews. I really do. I knew this was going to be "competency based" which means they ask you to give examples of how you did something, what your value-add was, how the outcome was due to your efforts. I tried to prepare but honestly, how do you guess which take on "give us an example" they're going to come up with?

Anyway, I waffled and blundered my way through. Some class responses included:

Them: How do you manage conflict?
Me: I don't do conflict..... bla bla bla. Of course, you can always get someone else to do the conflict!

Them: When would you set timescales for something without involving anyone else?
Me: I wouldn't do that...... (I'm an inclusive soul would talk to other people bla bla bla)

Them: Is nuclear green?
Me: Aha! Well, in principle yes. But then, no when it comes to the decommissioning.
Them (the other one): Bit sneaky, throwing that in!

It seemed ok. Very friendly, two nice chaps. I think I managed to convince them that passion for green issues wasn't a problem. Next step, if there is one, would be a one-to-one with the Director (a presentation with more examples of how I personally sorted all the problems of telecoms regulation). Interestingly, the potential boss went on to say the step after that would be meeting HR for them to explain "the package".


I still hate interviews.


7 comments:

beanz said...

Sounds as though you were true to yourself, which is all you can be.

Anonymous said...

"I don't do conflict" ... this from the person that wades in to break up a fist-fight in the street?

womble said...

I was stopping the conflict..... I didn't join in!!!

Anonymous said...

I call that "managing conflict" very successfully!

b-z said...

when do you hear?

womble said...

"In a day or two" they said last Wednesday......

Anonymous said...

That really is getting VERY annoying