Friday, March 21, 2008

How's the job going?

A good question, thank you.

Two weeks, well 9 working days, now completed. I work in the Community & Events team, so everything on this page belongs to us. Consequences - the gig - went well and there's a CD out imminently. It had its first play on Radio 1 this week - Zane Lowe's 'Hottest Record in the World Right Now' apparently, whatever that means. I'm providing customer care on all the running events, challenges etc apart from the Square Mile Run which is huge and will have volunteers helping out on it. I process requests for information, register people for events, send out fundraising packs, t-shirts, collecting tins. I stop myself from telling people not to jump out of planes for us but only just. One person assumed that I was going to be joining the cycling challenge team - I put him right.

This week I've ordered a thousand balloons to be printed! I play with our supporters' database and have learned how to do more things on that.We're trying to grow our running side so, if anyone wants to do GNR this year I have places and you only have to raise £300 although more is welcome. We mailed out the running vests to our FLM team too, on the day the franking machine ran out of credit and the phone line was down so no more franking to be done, so I went round to the post office to do things the old fashioned way.

Yesterday saw one of our regular graduation ceremonies for students from our Learning Zone. One of the trustees gave out awards and a chap from the British Safety Council came along to give the first ever certificates in a qualification to be rolled out to thousands of other people. The tutors reviewed the term and there were presentations from several students on what they had done and what it meant to them. It was hard to hold back the tears hearing some of what it meant to people to have come to Crisis and be helped forward in their lives. Very humbling. The students also have a strong sense of community amongst them, there was huge support for each other as they went up to collect their certificates.

What struck me particularly, was the number of people with English as a second language. I suppose with migration becoming more commonplace, along with refugees this should not be a surprise. What we don't think about is how difficult it might be to survive if a fragile support network disappears when you're in a country you don't really know and have a thin grasp of the language. I'm not in the camp that thinks we should limit migration into this country. We are one of the richest countries in the world and I believe we should share those riches and opportunities.

On a related subject, on Wednesday evening I had a drink with ex-colleagues from the job I was in last year as my old boss is leaving. It was great to catch up with people but I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

1 comment:

beanz said...

excellent - nothing if not varied :>)