Saturday, August 09, 2008

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The raw details, to be embellished later....

Conditions: pretty damn poor, windy and raining, cool.

The overall result: 2.08.59

Splits: swim 750m 34.53; bike 20km 52.43, run 5km 33.14 (the difference in totals must be transition.....)

Random thoughts:

I plodded the swim! Just kept going steadily. It was pretty much an out and back course. On the return bit the wind was against us and the water started to whip up a bit. Around this point I really started to not enjoy it. Things improved though. I wasn't aware of having a 'minder' but as I'd kept going I suspect there was one but he was holding back so as not to distract me. Rumour has it there may only have been about four people swimming more slowly!
The bike was the best bit! I overtook quite a few people. But, the wind was a nightmare. I found myself even trying to take a low position to reduce the wind resistance. It was raining too.

The run had too much walking in it really. I think I might have moved slightly further up the field but not much. I managed to run in to the finish properly though!

My support team were brilliant. Mike has been great all through the last ten weeks, while I've never been at home due to swim training, prodding me through a few runs. Today he was wonderful, looking after me, saying the right things and taking pictures. At the end he produced a bottle of champagne and some chocolate! Bear came along to support too and seemed to be running round the course, as well as having lent me his pirate kit. Wearing it was fab, I got lots of shouts including one from a fellow athlete on the run, who said 'well done skull and crossbones'! Little bruv and girlfriend made it too, lb having already been to the house in the morning to re-assemble my bike and give it the once over.
Here's a picture. Tomorrow morning we're off to do the Belgrave 5k.

6 comments:

Highway Kind said...

Absolutely brilliant.

Well done to you and everybody

Anonymous said...

It was a privilege to be there. Very well done!

beanz said...

Well done that Womble :>)

Anonymous said...

I'm liking Mike's champange and chocolate supporting technique. I need to go and drop some hints.

b-z said...

wahay!

Anonymous said...

It's just such a shame that you let the side down by wearing pirate gear.

Otherwise though, good job.

FF.