Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Womble gives it a tri

Yes, I've finally succumbed to the dark side. I'm doing the Mazda London Triathlon, Sprint Distance, on 09 August 2008. That's slightly under 10 weeks from now. Eek. My Dad said on Sunday "But you don't like swimming." Fair enough, can't argue with that. He also said "Mind you, when she puts her mind to something she does it": I remember the ex saying that after I'd done my first marathon! Odd how people see things in you that you don't know yourself (spot the Johari window opening.....).

It's started ok. I got a free copy of Triathlete's World at work and currently it's pretending to be my bible on the subject. I have copied the first four weeks of its ten week training programme into my 'training diary'. Swimming is my weak subject. It's my non-existent subject. The cycling has been piling on the miles with doing 14 miles each way to work five days a week, let alone any pootling around at the weekends. Running is taking a bit of a back seat, mostly due to the cycling volume but also I feel like I'm still in 'come-back' mode after my first injury. [It seems ok so far, thanks].

I've already deviated from the Master Plan, you'll be relieved to know! I did Poole 10k on Sunday, which was Training Start minus 1. So, I didn't quite see the point of "30 mins endurance run" on Monday (whoever heard of such a thing?). I went .... to the pool. With my new goggles - Zoggs Foilz and my speedo swimsuit (navy for the shy!). I had a quick dip under the shower first, I had after all just cycled there from work so perhaps it was to spare my fellow swimmers, then sat on the side and casually put on my
eyewear. And I did it. Head-up, slow breast-stroke, but I did 3x[10x25m]=750m. And THAT is the distance I have to do on the day. Mr Frog suggested that I ought to think about lessons and I agree for the open water thing, but this was such a confidence boost. After my triumph, I don't think anyone noticed me smiling too much, I practised the swim-bike transition and went home soggy!

Yes, I am seeking sponsorship. Feel free to chuck a few p my way or not, it will be very much appreciated if you do and I understand if you don't. You'll still be my friends
Smile

4 comments:

Highway Kind said...

Brilliant.

With all those commuting miles this was probably inevitable.

Swimming will be interesting -it has always been the thing that has put me off triathlon.

Anyway best of luck

PS it's good to hear from you again.

beanz said...

Excellent :>))

womble said...

Excellent" Hmmmm not sure that's the right word!

pwezapweza said...

I am pretty sure I owe you a pair of swimming goggles, I think you didn't expect to need them, but that was a long time ago. They've been through some adventures of their own, but nowadays they are settled-down, content with life, and still get out occasionally. I am sure a little sponsorship is in order
Pxzz